eric@lucii.org on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:15:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] network/ssh question

Thanks Neighbor! (I'm on Dartmouth Ave. in Swarthmore)

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:47:29AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:41:37AM -0500, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> > So, I tell e-smith to forward port NNNN to port 22 (for ssh)
> > on the server.  So far so good.
>
> That's all well and good, but that only gets you the listener, not
> the forked off sshd that actually communicates with the client on a
> higer port number. Stop blocking ports >1024.

ok, I have heard of this before.  If I open ports >1024 do we have to
forward all those ports to the server in question?  I guess yes.

If we do that, does that make our server more vulnerable to attack and
or compromise?  I guess yes... although it's a SuSE 7.3 pro system and
we try to keep it updated.  That is, I guess, the risk we take.

I'm also guessing that the same process of using higher number ports
is true for mysql and http as well?

> (No, you can't write a rule in your firewall to map these ports, the
> decision is made on the fly by the listening sshd. You'd have to
> teach sshd how to talk to the firewall and update its port
> forwarding table if you wanted only the ports necessary open on the
> fly. That's non-trivial.)

Whoa yeah!  No kidding!  Sounds like a good open-source project for
the paranoid :-D  Our connection is via Comcast cable so we are
justifiably paranoid.... hummmmm.

Is there a "range" that sshd likes?  For example, I know that the game
"Age of Empires" uses ports 47634 and ports 2300-2400.

> Wouldn't help me, since I'm not familiar with the details of the
> firewall, but maybe the general what-to-do advice above will help
> you.

Yes.  Thanks.

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth