eric@lucii.org on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:48:47 +0200

[PLUG] Moving targets

Last night somebody mentioned the recent proposed law that would
mandate "digital rights management" and thereby effectively
outlaw free and open source software.

This from the Linux Journal "Suit Report":

<<snip>>
   Back in Reality, the entertainment industry and its congressional sock
   puppets continue to advocate replacing the Net's commons with a
   digital rights management system for downloaded "content". The
   puppets' latest effort is the Consumer Broadband and Digital
   Television Promotion Act:
   http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/ (CBDTPA), which EFF's Cory
   Doctorow calls the "Anti-Mammal Dinosaur Protection Act".

   To bring some sanity to the matter, Limited Pie offers "A Modest
   Post-Napster Proposal":
   http://www.limitedpie.com/2002_03_31_archiveindex#75056270, which the
   author describes as "...a way that an open source distributed
   computing project could quite easily own all future copyrights to all
   possible future songs. This of course would turn the tables on the
   RIAA and all these horrible copy protection proposals that keep
   floating in front of Congress (like the CBDTPA)."
<<snip>>

Great.  So now it's called the "CBDTPA".  Looks like they are trying
to be obscure to disguise their activity.

How about we counter with a proposed law called: KYFLBSOMLB?
   that stands for: "Keep Your Facist Legal B.S. Off My Linux Box"  :-D

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth