gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:50:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Moveing large files

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:51:20PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> It exists if you're on a 32-bit machine:

Not it doesn't, it exists in an operating system that's still using
32-bit integers for measuring files. Nobody does that any more.
But some utilities still have a safety check for it.

> I forget which kernel revision, but the kernel now supports large files.
> So does glibc.  Some userspace applications do and some do not.

By being sane and using an int64_t (aka a long long on a 32-bit
architecture). Which everything should be doing by now.

> On a 64-bit system, you'll be limited to files of eight exabytes in
> size, without using any special workarounds.  Which ought to be enough
> for anybody...

The workaround is the same, use a double-width (128-bit) variable.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net