W. Chris Shank on Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:10:14 +0200

[PLUG] GDI Printers

I'm attempting to make a print server for a Toshiba eStudio16 copier/printer.
This printer is a GDI printer, and from what I can tell, this is the WinModem
equivalent for printers, so workign with Linux is not guaranteed or likely.
However, I'm not really concerned about printing from linux as I am about the
windows computers on the network printing to the copier through samba. Does
anyone know how effective this would be? If I just setup lp0 to be a generic
printer and share it through samba, does this effectively become a redirector
or does the communication between linux and printer still rely on the
proprietary GDI protocol?

any wisdom, advise, or assistance is greatly appreciated.

thanks