Michael Leone on Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:50:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 10:35, Doug Crompton wrote:
> May I ask a perhaps dumb question? Why do you use signed email on this
> list why would I have a need to validate it? I assume it is just playing
> here. I can understand why you would in a secure environment. My email
> does not fit in that category.

Because many people feel that ALL email fits into that category, and
therefore all email should be signed. Especially since email forgery is
so easy to do it (spammers do it millions of times a day), it's seen as
a necessary mechanism, to prove that person claiming to be me .. *is*
me, and therefore you can confidently assume that the email actually did
come from Mike Leone, the PLUG member, instead of Mike Leone, my cousin
from New Jersey (or whoever).

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Conform or be cast out.