gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:19:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What am I missing about RPM?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 07:07:50PM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> 	I've heard that a lot of people stuck in your situation will create
> their own RPM's from the source tarball.

Strikes me that that sort of defeats the purpose of having a
distro-managed set of packages. I mean, we are actually *paying* RH
here ("we" being my employer). I don't think it's too much to ask
for them to keep up with security updates and provide them in a way
that I can use them. (I'd love to shown the error of my ways and
that, in fact, RH is useable for this kind of thing, btw.)

> I, too, moved away from RH for that reason, and I'm sorry I can't be of
> any more help to you.

No sweat. I know that I've seen lots of RPM discussion go past on
PLUG, but I've ignored in the past, calm in my resolution never to
use RH again. ::sigh::

I'd go through the archives, but I'm still at work right now, when
I'd much rather have gone home quite a while ago, and I thought
that that email might spark a quick response I could use to fix
things before I went home.

Anyway, none of it matters much tonight, since I just hit ^D one too
many times in the only xterm I still had X forwarded (via ssh) from
the machine in question, and I'm really not interested in trudging
over to the console to do the OpenSSH install right now, so screw
it till the morning. Guess I'll go ahead and sift through the
archives tonight, though.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net