eric@lucii.org on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:01:37 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X forwarding via ssh

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:23:51PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> I seem to recall there having been a free Windows X server, but I
> may have been thinking of an evaluation or (gasp!) cracked copy of
> XWin32. (I never used it; I've never owned a copy of Windows
> anything.)

Yes there was.  It was Xmix or miX or something like that.  The company that
made it did so to allow their map product (the "real" product) to be run on
windows machines.  When the discovered how popular their little free X server
was they spiffed it up and slapped a price sticker on it.

Also, don't forget vnc... a very nice X server that is free from AT&T.  The
beauty of vnc is in it's architecture.  The X server runs on the remote server
and your pc's display is simply that - a display.  If you disconnect (or get
disconnected accidentally) you can restore your connection and pick up where
you left off.  Those familiar with X Terms will remember the dreaded "network
outages" that trashed your xterms, editing sessions, etc.  With vnc, I could
work all day at the office, disconnect, drive home, dial in and reconnect and
the VIM cursor is still blinking in the file I was editing 40 minutes ago...
or 40 hours ago.  Really a neat idea.

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth