Kyle R . Burton on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:14:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] C++

> Can any one recommend a good book on C++.

O'Reilly's squirrel book is a good introduction.  If you already know
OO and a C like language, or are an experienced developer, then it
might be too basic.

Stroustrup's book 'The C++ Programming Language' is a good reference if
you already know how to program in OO in some other language.

In addition to a book on C++, I'd also recommend either a book on the STL,
or an algorithms book for C++ -- the example code for using those libraries
will help you see how to do useful stuff and not re-invent the wheel (before
I knew about the STL and other similar libraries, I wasted entirely too much
time writing my own stack, autopointer, array, list, string, hash and other
objects).

If you're comfortable with the GPL (or can afford the developer license),
I'd highly recommend the QT library from TroolTech (the lib that KDE is based
around) - and KDE's libraries for that matter.  KDE really has some great
design -- the little bit that I've seen by poking around in the code has
changed the way I write code in other languages (like Perl and Java).

Kyle