Tom Keiser on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:38:04 -0400

[PLUG] New box won't play with Linux

I'm trying to make a new box behave, without success. It has
an ASUS A7M266-D, dual-athlon processor with the AMD
chipsets in it, along with some other stuff that I know is
OK, like Adaptec SCSI card, Elsa video, etc.

RedHat 7.2 will only run in Uniprocessor mode; in SMP mode,
it starts the boot cycle, finds and installs both
processors, then displays this and stops completely:

total of 2 processors activated (6121.06 Bogomips)
Enabling IO-APIC IRQs
... changing IO-APIC Physical APIC ID to 2 ... ok
.. timer: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=0
_ (non-blinking cursor, box is dead).

Mandrake 8.1 installs ok, but will only run in "failsafe"
mode.

Suse 7.3 gets 5 seconds into the install (getting kernel)
and dies.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom Keiser

--
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes;
he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.