eric@lucii.org on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:56:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Install Fest. June 2

I'll be glad to help.

Will there be a charge?  $5?  $10?

It's too late to get it mentioned into the Computer User for May's issue
and June's issue will come out only a few days befor the install fest.
Still, I'll email/call Tim Knecht at Computer User and see what we can get
in the way of a notice printed there.

We should have plenty of copies of CD ROM's available for favorite distro's
(Mandrake, R.H. SuSE, and of course Debian come to mind).  Should we burn them
ourselves or see if we can get freebies directly from the outfit in question?
Didn't we get some free books in the past too?  That might be a nice touch to
be able to give each attendee a Linux book.

Also, if we're using the lecture hall with the ethernet jacks then it will be
easy to install & setup the networking.  Unfortunately, many folks still use
modems and I'll bet the college's phone system is digital (can destroy analog
modems).  If we don't have the ethernet jacks available then maybe I can borrow
a couple of routers from a friend's networking lab... he's got a half dozen (or
more).  To top that, he's a networking consultant for USP so it should be no
problem getting them hooked up if need be.

Although the lecture hall is really nice for meetings it may be a bit tight on
space for an install fest.  Particularly since the rows are narrow.  Perhaps we
should consider a large meeting room or gymnasium space where we can set up
some large tables and have better access?  I don't know what USP has available
but maybe Guillermo will have an idea.  Just a thought.

Eric