gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:59:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting thread on SEUL-EDU mailing list...

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:40:01PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> If I paid for something, and I didn't sell it, then I own
> title to it,

... unless it's music or a movie, in which case you only own the
permission to replay it in a specific set of ways.

> How exactly would BSA have the power to enforce Fines?  Last I checked,
> gov't agencies are the only ones that can impose fines, and even those can
> be disputed.

Nah, the BSA just brings suit on behalf of their member companies.
The reason the BSA is scary is that they're set up to audit for all
of their member companies, and if you are violating any of the
licenses of any of those member companies, you get hit with the
legal force of ALL of the member companies.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net