Kevin Brosius on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:43:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

Noah silva wrote:

> The practical problems I had were:
> a.) (minor) Using the serial port, the modems can only get to 115.2 kbps.
> b.) (not so minor) Using the serial port on the older sparcs, it only
> works up to about 33.6.
> c.) The sparcs don't have USB.
> d.) We can't use people existing windows PCs with USB because STARMODE is
> only supported under windows (and I wanted to be sure that the network
> nodes would be fairly untouched).

So, we need someone to write a windows driver...  I was running ricochet
starmode at home for a little while, and considered seeing if any of my
neighbors wanted a cheap modem and faster than 56k connections.  But
then I realized most of them would need a win driver to make it work.
It seemed like overkill to ask them to install a linux router and
ethernet.

--
Kevin Brosius