Kevin Brosius on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:47:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > another interesting thing I heard is that the fixed stations and the
> > mobile ones have the same electronics, but different firmware.  I think I
> > should disect one of the fixed ones.. (who owns them anyhow, if ricochet
> > isn't in business in phila anymore?)
>
> Well, *someone* bought the rights to them (no, I don't recall who,
> but I'm sure google could tell you). In any case, I'm guessing
> Philly's Finest wouldn't love to see you hoisting yourself up there
> with a tin-snips and a soldering iron... ;^>

Not necessarily.  The last official plan I heard was that Aerie was only
buying the equipment in a few select cities, and the rest of the network
would be abandoned.  More recent articles I've read seem to imply that
Aerie might have gotten the whole thing, but I'm not sure.

I had a couple ricochet modems when the network was turned off, so I did
a couple experiments with it to see what was and wasn't still working.
When they 'turned off' the network, the first thing to go was connection
to the internet through your ISP.  I was using WWC (Wordlwide Web
Connect), and that connection was lost within the first week.

Routing over the network seem to work for about a month after that, at
least in my area.  I could do starmode connections between two ricochet
modems across the poletop network for 10-15 miles around my home.  But,
about a month later this ceased to work also.  I theorized that there
was some central routing equipment that was finally turned off at that
point.

I exchanged some mail with one of the contributors to the Linux ricochet
driver, in Denver (IIRC), and he said the starmode routing over poletop
radios was not working at his location for most of that time.

--
Kevin Brosius