gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:00:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] adding gpg (aliases?)

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:24:21AM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> How do I add more uids to my key?  I have a business email address that I
> would like to add.  Do I understand it correctly that to sign a message while
> sending from another email address I need these UIDs?

You don't need them. For someone to believe it's you, you need to
add the ID. For someone to *really* believe it's you, they need to
sign that uid separate. (Do gpg --list-sigs 0cf9091a to see that not
everyone who's signed one of my uids has signed all of them.)

So, you sort of need them.

The fact that you know they're called "uids" would have been enough
for you to find this in gpg(1), btw. The relevant sections,
reproduced:

       --edit-key name
                 Present  a  menu which enables you to do all key
                 related tasks:
[...]
                 adduid    Create an alternate user id.

--