Will Dyson on Fri, 26 Apr 2002 04:11:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux and Device numbering?

Noah silva wrote:
I encountered a problem this week with my PC that took me a while to
solve.

<snip>

It turns out that Suddenly the SBLive is assigned to /dev/dsp (or actually
/dev/dsp.orig in this case).  This is with no krnl changes, and no
hardware changes.  It just up and decided that it was going to re-assign
the device numbers.  This is fine and dandy, I just deleted the sym link
and renamed the /dev/dsp.orig back to it's original name, but I wonder how
long until it changes again?

Perhaps a package invoked the MAKEDEV script when it was updated (modutils does this), and that changed it? Just a guess, mind you. I run DevFS here (and only have the one sound card anyway).

Turns out that mount no longer will accept IDE devices?  If I use /dev/sr2
with the SCSI emulation, it works.

Again, I didn't change the config here, the SCSI emulation has been on all
along...  Why the sudden change?  MAYBE I updated my mount utilities
because of ext3.

I had been under the impression that when ide-scsi took control of an ide device, you were no longer allowed to use it from the ide subsystem (but of course I could be wrong). What happens when you boot without ide-scsi?

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman