Jon Galt on Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:48:25 -0400

[PLUG] OT, gold stuff

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Jeff Weisberg wrote:

> except that gold is just as much a fiat currency as our dollars are today.
> it has no (significant) intrinsic value, its value is derived from people
> having faith in its usefulness in transferring wealth, just like our
> paper money.

This is not at all true.  Gold has value in many industrial processes, in
addition to people's faith in it as a store of wealth.  Although the real
advantage of gold over fiat currency is that government cannot arbitrarily
create more of it out of thin air.

Offlist, anyone?

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com