Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:54:39 -0400

[PLUG] newbie network

I'm posting back to the list so you get the best advice.

> If I enter "ping www.google.com" I get a "not found" error; can't quote
> exactly but it's definitely a negative reply.  If I ping my web hosting
> server I get replies, a whole lot of them; next time, I'll limit the
> number with "-c 3" or something like that.

I usually kill it w/ a ctrl-c after a while. I'd use -c 1.

> Regarding the ftp client ... doesn't seem to matter; one was Terminal's
> ftp; another two came from Xwindow's programs.  All will access my
> amenex.com server, but not any www site.

This is strange to me. Don't know why it would be like this.

> Contents of /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> 	domain voicenet.com #kppp temp entry
> 	# search localdomain #entry disabled by kppp
> 	nameserver 192.168.2.1
> 	nameserver 24.130.1.32
> 	nameserver 24.130.4.8
> 	nameserver 209.71.158.2 #kppp temp entry
> 	nameserver 207.103.206.67 #kppp temp entry

Did you try pinging those sites?

I don't like the first one: nameserver 192.168.2.1 as it has local
address. I suggest putting a # in front to comment it out and retry
pinging google.

> Should I be replying directly; or is the protocol to send my replies to
> The List so that others can watch this develop ?  I'll summarize the
> solution when we're done, of course.  I sometimes see that done on
> other lists ...

I suggest sending it back to the list. We need more tech discussions here.
:) Also, I'm not perfect, I might be missing something.

Do a 'route' and post that as well.

This looks like a nameserver problem. Can you put the ip address into
the www browser and see it? Can you ping an ip address?

Here's google's:

216.239.51.101

If you can use ip addresses, then it's a nameserver. Route should be ok
if you can use ftp. Can you ftp everywhere?

Try to ftp:

ftp.gnu.org

if this doesn't work then try:

199.232.41.9