Art Clemons on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:59:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] port forwarding question

The IP-Masquerade-HOWTO (9/12/2001), sec 6.8 provides some info on how to

do this. I downloaded and installed ipmasqadm v0.4.2-4. When I try to use

it, I get a setsocketopt() error, which, according to the HOWTO, indicates

my kernel doesn't have support for port forwarding.

I attempted to rebuild the kernel with support for port forwarding, however,

I was unable to find any 'port forwarding' option in the kernel configuration

(using 'make menuconfig').

First, let me state that with the 2.4 kernel series, you'ld be well advised to read up on IPTABLES and use that rather than IPMASK, and ipchains. Works better and everybody is usually happier too.

However if you insist, open the Networking Options section

then select IP:Netfilter Configuration ---->

then select ipchains 2.2 support and ipfawdm 2.0 support, and you'll probably be able to follow the instructions. Be sure whatever method you use to install a working firewall and test it with some of the tools available for doing that, if you're using it as a server, be paranoid and close off any services not absolutely necessary. It's amazing how many times one can be scanned while up and running.