George Langford, Sc.D. on Wed, 1 May 2002 08:50:22 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's First Question - progress !

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

This is coming to you now, at last, from a Linux PC.

I followed Fred's suggestion that I comment out the line,
"nameserver 192.168.2.1" in /etc/resolv.conf:

Contents of /etc/resolv.conf:

     #nameserver 192.168.2.1
     nameserver 24.130.1.32
     nameserver 24.130.4.8
     nameserver etc, etc.

So; what is that server's identity ?
NSLookup didn't get a response ...

Results of Google search on "192.168.2.1"

http://www.gemtek.com.tw/faq_soho_router.htm

> 2: The SOHO Router has successfully connected to the ISP (from the connection status
>        shown in the status screen) but I can not surf the internet through the gateway ?
>        1. Check if your computer's IP settings are correct.
>        a. Your computer's IP address should be in the range from 192.168.2.2 to
>           192.168.2.254.
>        b. Your computer's network mask should be 255.255.255.0.
>        c. Your computer's gateway should be 192.168.2.1 (The IP address of SOHO Router).
>        d. Your computer's DNS IP settings should be a valid ISP DNS server's IP address.
>        2.Try to "ping" an existed internet IP, e.g. the DNS IP address.

So I have met the enemy, and it is me.

I even managed to download mail; I'm still having trouble with the
Bookmarks file, though.  Keep getting an error message about saving
it.  And it certainly isn't saving any new bookmarks ...

But this is wonderful progress.

Thanks to Fred Ollinger & Lin, my missus.

Best regards,
George
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/