Kevin Brosius on Wed, 1 May 2002 09:15:46 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Win98/Linux file transfers, was Re: Newbie's first question - filetransfer

Jon Galt wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, George Langford wrote:
>
> > Hello fellow PLUGgers !
> >
> > Trying to answer my own question regarding transfer of files from
> > a W98 environment on one PC to a Linux environment on another PC,
> > a one shot deal but lots of data are involved - 500's of MB.
> >
> > Choice No.1 - PuTTY:
> >
> >       http://www.starjump.com/linux/scp.html
> >       http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
> >       http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.52/htmldoc/
> >
> > PuTTY seems to emphasize security over telephone lines, but offers
> > ease of use - I might even string a permanent link ...
>
> Since Putty doesn't supply a convenient way to transfer files, you're
> probably referring to PSCP, which is the secure copy program that comes
> with Putty.  (It is Putty's implementation of an SCP client.)  I use this
> also, when I need to transfer files outside of my firewall (and when it's
> available on the host).
>
> Another option is FTP, if you decide to make the transfer in a nonsecure
> manner.  I use WS_FTP LE for that (gui), or the ftp client built into
> Windows (cli), or the ftp client that typically comes with a Linux distro
> (cli).
>
> I understand that there are two different FTP protocols that incorporate
> ssh, and those are SFTP and FTPS.  I could be wrong about that, as I have
> no experience with either one.
>
> Another option is either mounting a remote Windows partition on your Linux
> box (using a network file system that might come with your Linux distro)
> and working from the Linux box,  Or you could use Samba on the Linux box
> to share directories and files and work from the Windows box.  You may
> have noticed that I've asked for help with this last one in another email
> message on this list.
>
> So if you have an ethernet connection between the machines, the total list
> of software options seems to be:
> - SCP
> - FTP
> - SFTP/FTPS (?)
> - network file system
> - Samba
>
> If anybody knows of other software options, I'd be interested in hearing
> about them.
>
> Of course, there's a hardware option that sometimes people overlook.  Take
> the hard disk out of your Windows box and install it (temporarily or not)
> in your Linux box, and simply copy the file(s).
>
> Wayne

I suppose you could use a rescue system, like SuSE's install disk.  Boot
the Win98 machine with the rescue system, load network drivers,
configure network, mount the W98 partition and then scp/rsync/ftp.  But
then again, I but the SuSE rescue disk doesn't have rsync, and maybe not
scp/rcp or ftp either.  So, maybe this is a bad idea.  You could make a
boot floppy/cd to do this though...  (adding the rsync/etc tools you
need.)

--
Kevin Brosius