Kyle R . Burton on Wed, 8 May 2002 16:30:17 +0200

[PLUG] programming: how to be notified when a directory changes?

I'm contemplating writing a peice of software that I will want to have monitor
a directory tree.  I want the software to be able to use something like
select(2) or poll(2) so that it doesn't have to perform a busy-wait.

At one point in my past I wrote software under that other operating system,
which had functions that allowed you to register your program to be notified
when these kinds of events happened.  I just don't know how to do it under
Linux.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Kyle