Kyle R . Burton on Mon, 13 May 2002 15:27:49 -0400

[PLUG] Mac OS/X, Darwin and Opensource software...

I've got a user who is trying to build some software I wrote on a Mac system
with Darwin (Gnu compatibility software?).  One of the problems we've
run into involves a difference in how the compiler sees the return value of
memcpy().  On my Linux system _and_ on the Mac system it's documented to
return a void*.  Though when the user built the software in question, the
compiler errored on code that assigned the output of memcpy() to a pointer
variable.

Another issue that we're currently working through is that apparently some
of the standard include files (libintl.h in this case) are not located
in any standard directory I've ever seen (I think it's in /sw/include).

Does anyone have experience building software written to use the GNU autoconf
tools on a Mac?  Or have expertiese with autoconf?  I'd like to ultimately
have the configure script for the software take these differecnes into account
so that it will build on OS/X systems.

Thanks,
Kyle R. Burton