gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 16 May 2002 05:40:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] IP Tables and SSH X forwarding

Oh, duh. This was pretty silly.

This rule:

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:13:45PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Chain INPUT (policy DROP 4 packets, 198 bytes)
[...]
>     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo0    any     anywhere             anywhere
belies my (real Unix, where we use a -a on ifconfig, dernit)
heritage.

For whatever (inane, non-general, foolish, all imho, of course)
reason, Linux doesn't assign an index to the loopback interface.

(Sure, you almost definitely can't have more than one... you know,
unless you've got multiple backplanes with multiple processors on
each, which Sun will probably be doing about five years from now...
In any case network interfaces have a generalized form, dammit!)

Changing that rule to be:

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p all -j ACCEPT

Fixes the problem.

::sigh::

--
gabriel rosenkoetter