W. Chris Shank on Thu, 23 May 2002 09:20:00 -0400

[PLUG] AS/400 update

So I picked up a free AS/400 yesterday (and boy is my back killing me -
badda boom!) I couldn't find any information about what it would be useful
for outside of running OS/400, so I decided to strip out the disks.

The results were: 3 9.1Gb 7200RPM LVD UW SCSI drives, 1 20X SCSI CDROM, and
1 QIC 2GB SCSI tape drive (and about 4 dozen tapes), and a large UPS.

Also, the disk drive housing is removable. It seems to be a SCSI backplane
(the drives plug into it) and holds up to 5 disks. I don't think the
backplane does any hardware raid, but I'm pretty sure the AS/400 had a raid
configuration since the original owners said it had a total capacity of 18G.
Anyone know what other tail-tell signs of hardware would be? There is a PCI
card that the SCSI cables are fed from, but this card is mostly blank -
meaning there are very little electronics on it. And wouldn't a hardware
raid want all the disks on seperate cables? or would that only be for high
throughput (which is how i'd like to use the disks)?

Anyway - if anyone knows anything about any of this hardware or can point me
to some more resources (IMB doesn't give up much data on it) - please let me
know.

thanks!
-Chris