Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 28 May 2002 17:13:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Raid

> I still think that striping provides faster data writes. Mirroring will
> increase your read ability.

You should really read the linuxdoc on scsi raid. There are different
levels of raid. Most of them increase redundency so they make the drives a
bit smaller, but give you redundency. I don't think that they speed things
up.

A low number raid (0?) will split data b/w two drive. This is worse than
on drive in terms of stability b/c if either drive fails you lose all data
whereas w/ raid 5, if you lose one drive you lose no data (other drives
can rebuild old drive on a replacement).

You need to figure out what you want stability OR speed and pick one, not
both. :( Then decide raid level that's best for you. I say go w/ raid 5
b/c I really care about my data (and uptimes).

Fred