Forge XP on Sat, 1 Jun 2002 02:15:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Raid

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Jonas" <bill@billjonas.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux Raid

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:02:46AM -0600, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I still think that striping provides faster data writes. Mirroring will
> increase your read ability.

It's very possible I was wrong.  I was going on what I had heard/read
somewhere and it's possible I could have gotten confused.  (I meant to
add an "I am not a RAID expert but this is what I've heard" disclaimer
to the original message but forgot to do so.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin

Mirroring occasionally decreases read/write latency, but only rarely, and
only on certain controllers. True hardware RAID controllers do offer both
greatly enhanced read and write speed, on striped array, but most (90%+)
'RAID' users are actually using a form of bootable software RAID, courtesy
of their Promise Fasttrak and HPT onboard controllers. There's nothing wrong
with these, I'm using a Fasttrak TX4 myself, but they should not be confused
with true hardware RAID.

Rich 'Forge' Mingin
www.tech-report.com