pinkee on Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:58:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 03:06:03AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:05:30AM -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> > tripwire != wasteful.
> >
> > Is there the slightest chance that this machine will ever have contact
> > with the Internet?  There's always a chance of compromise.
>
> Tripwire's basically useless if you don't use it right, and most
> people don't. The statically-linked binaries and databases *must*
> live on removable--not just unmounted, that's no help--media, and
> you *must* verify regularly using this removable media. Any clueful
> attacker will clear an on-disk Tripwire database in such a way that
> you'll never know, and anyone not clued enough to notice Tripwire's
> installed will leave traces you won't need Tripwire to notice.

I agree with Gabriel here. Tripwire is pretty much what the name
implies. It does nothing to *prevent* intrusuions, and may or may not
help detect them after the fact. Just because you touch the internet,
doesn't mean you need to be a security guru, close unnecessary ports
and use common sense. Truly sensitive data should be chrooted, or kept
on other media.

$.02

pinkee
--