gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:33:23 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Serial port madness (fwd)

Perhaps relevant for anyone who'd choose to deal with the serial
ports on a 68k mac (under any OS, really).

The "mailing list archives" Hauke refers to can be found at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/. The search engine there is
intermittently broken, but googling for <search> mac68k
site:mail-index.netbsd.org tends to work well.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

----- Forwarded message from Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> -----

From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
Subject: Re: Serial port madness
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:10:06 +0200
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
Cc: port-mac68k@netbsd.org

At 17:51 Uhr -0700 31.5.2002, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>On 1.5.2, I'm setting up some serial ports for several Commodore 64s to
>connect to effectively as dummy terminals, but I can't seem to get hardware
>flow control to work (I know the interface cartridge the 64 is using properly
>handles RTS/CTS because it does it correctly with the modem). I've run
>ttyflags on the port and bounced init, and I can log in fine, but there's
>flow overruns all over the place. Suggestions? The entry in /etc/ttys is
>
>tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	dumb on secure rtscts local

The Macintosh DIN 8 connectors have only one handshake output line (HSKO)
that can either be used for line control (DTR) or flow control (RTS).

The 'rtscts' on NetBSD/mac68k is a lie in that there is no 'rts'
functionality, but 'dtr' flow control. Use 'dtrcts' in place of 'rtscts'
and make sure you use a cable wired for hardware handshake (RTS shorted
with DTR on the 25 pin connector, especially).

If you are interested in details, search the mailing list archives; this
has been rehashed a few times on the lists.

HTH,
	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety