Timothy Lee Young on Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:35:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AMD or Intel P4??

Actually I've been in the market to build my next home PC; about 2 years
ago I built a P3-600e system, and have been very happy with it.  But now
that I compile source code, kernels, LAME mp3 encoders, I need something
faster.  So I've been looking at what's available.

It seems to me that the AMD Athlon processors, and their advanced
tri-FPUs, are best for Linux users.  I read somewhere online yesterday
that a kernel compiled only 3 seconds faster on a P4-3ghz machine than it
did on an Athlon 2000+ processor.  That's pretty sad.

And all the benchmarks for the new boards using LAME have it in
overwhelming favor of using AMD processors.

So it looks like AMD would be the best platform for we Linux users.  Sure
there are P4-2.6ghz machines out there, and AMD is at about 2100+ right
now, but where are any P4's in quantity over the 2.2ghz range?  Let alone,
the athlon 2100+ is just over $200, when the P4-2.2 is up in the $400 mark
range.

Just my little thought on the matter.

TIM