Jeyes, David (371) on Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:04:19 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

Title: RE: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

You could try manually configuring your external interface, but it can fail (especially if someone else has been assigned to it already) and sometimes they'll get mad.

> Or if someone can buy a static ip w/o any catch...I'm looking
> to switch
> from verizon over to whoever that really cool service is that
> charges a
> bit more, but encourages people to run web servers.
>
> Fred Ollinger

DirecTV DSL has been great to me. They'll give you a static ip at no extra cost. I asked them about setting up NAT to share service before I ever signed up and they told me that if I can do it then great.

They also have a section where you can set up your own web page and also mention running your own webserver. I'm not sure if that counts as encouraging, but they definitely don't have a problem with it.

btw- it's even cheaper than Verizon if you sign a one year contract, and their standard service costs the same as Verizon, but offers more bandwidth (not to mention a FREE static IP).

dj