Noah Silva on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:23:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] VCD mastering under linux

A VCD is a "VideoCD".  The major difference is that is uses the standard
CD format media, so it can easily be read by almost any CD-ROM drive,
and written by any CD-writer.  VCDs have a menu system and a track
system similar to DVDs, but they have been around a lot longer.
Depending on the VCD version (There is VCD 1.0, VCD 2.0, SuperVCD,
etc)., they are MPEG1 or MPEG2 video at certain sized and bitrates with
error correction.

They aren't popular in the US and Japan, but they are very popular in
China, and as a result, you can buy almost any commercial movie on VCD
legally.  The quality isn't quite DVD, but it's not bad at all.  I have
probably around 100 VCDs in total.  I started using VCD long before DVD
started to get popular, and havn't seen much reason to move to DVD.
VCDs are usually much cheaper, and are easily backed up, and can be
played wihtout a DVD player.  There are stand-along VCD players, and
many new DVD players support VCD as well.

 -- noah silva