gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:20:26 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux NFS

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:20:19PM -0400, Chris Beggy  wrote:
> > [Deleting the In-Reply-To: line on purpose so that this breaks into
> > a separate thread in threaded mail readers.]
> Oops, my bad.

Fwiw, I don't mean those terse [] comments to sound angry, just
be a short explanation so that nobody gets confused. :^>

> Most days, I don't worry about it.  Your post brought back bad memories.

Things are much better than they once were already, and will
hopefully be getting better.

> Sounds like a token passing scheme...

Um, yeah, pretty much. But my description doesn't go into all the
detail. I *think* they had some heuristics to be a little bit more
smart about where a file's backing store lived, and there was also
talk of treating the network drives the same way Berkeley LFS treats
a local hard drive (write everything to a log, make space later with
a cleaner agent that shuffles good data out of mostly-stale tracks
into good tracks, then adds the blocks in the cleansed stale tracks
back onto the block free list). But it's all a little hazy. Sean
might be able to tell you more if he's been looking at it recently.

> How about networked attached storage schemes (NAS)?  Do they all
> rely on sun nfs as well?

I haven't worked with any (well, we've got a Snap! server sitting in
the server room that doesn't seem to be doing much, so I could go
take a look at it, but I'm waiting for a rather important phone call
at the moment, so...). I would expect that they are someone's
proprietary implementation, where they aren't actually just an
embedded Linux (or other; NetBSD is actually rather popular for this,
as it turns out) machine doing whatever NFS is there.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net