Will Dyson on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 03:57:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

Looks like modprobe choked on me. Here's the output:

[root@pcp01425459pcs dev]# modprobe ide-cd
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104

[snip]

I figure I should fix this before I play with anything more advanced.

How do I fix this driver problem? (BTW, this is a lot of help and I really appreciate it.)

Hmm. Thats interesting.

See how all the symobls have a string of gibberish at the end? That shows that something called 'modversions' was enabled when this module was built (as redhat cusomarily does for their kernels).

Modversions attempts to prevent problems where a module is compiled for one kernel, but used in different kernel where the interface has changed. It does this by making a checksum of the functions involved, and appending this checksum to the symbol names. That way, if the function that the symbol comes from changes, the module will no longer be loadable (because the symbol name in the kernel will differ from that in the module).

Of course, the module is also unloadable if the module uses modversion, but the kernel doesn't.

I can't imagine how either of these situations could have arisen in an offical redhat kernel. Try something for me: run the following command and tell us the output

	grep 'unregister_cdrom' /proc/ksyms

Also, the output of

	uname -a

might be helpful. In any case, I suspect that the solution is to get a new kernel RPM and install it.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman