Paul on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:00:32 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Comprehending password protection on an Apache webserver

Notice that I use HTTPS port 443 to conceal the login and password. Also note that HTTPS doesn't help if you broadcast the login to an e-mail list! I didn't realize that I was responding to a PLUG meesage, but it doesn't matter because there's nothing in the "Members Only" area anyway. 8^/

Paul wrote:

Why don't you just use a user or group password?  Try this...

https://secure.nghosting.net/~dpagin/rdcc/members/

Username: ghost
Password: sightings

bash$ cat .htaccess
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Members Only"
AuthUserFile /home/dpagin/.htpasswds/rdcc/members/passwd
require valid-user