Marc Zucchelli on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:43:19 -0400

[PLUG] off topic-developing software for cell phones

I know this is a little off topic but I thought some
people on this list might have some insight for me.

I just got a new cell phone through verizon wireless,
it's a Kyocera QCP 3035e.  I got this one particularly
because it's BREW capable, and I thought I'd be able
to download some kind of SDK and write my own BREW
applications, on top of that, I read somewhere that
you can run a java virtual machine over BREW and run
java apps on the phone.

Anyway, I downloaded the sdk from brew.qualcomm.com.
Wasn't able to try it out, first of all it was an exe
for windows, so I had to go into my windows 98 to run
it :-/.  Then it said I need NT4.0, or 2000.  So at
this point I'm stopped in my tracks.  Can't really try
much more until I get 2000.

One thing I'm kind of concerned about, there is a link
on the qualcomm site somewhere for the apploader which
apparently something you use to download the apps to
your phone, when I clicked on that link it told me I
need to become an authenticated brew developer, part
of that process is paying verisign $400 for some kind
of certificate that is good for 100 applications.  On
the other, my phone can download brew apps wirelessly,
but I'm limited only to what verizon provides.....Not
to mention they don't provide a JVM, so I can't even
mess around with that.

Basically I'm looking for a free way to download apps
to my phone, I'm not a company trying to make money
off of this, I just think it would be fun developing
apps for something other than a pc.

Does anyone have an insight or experiences they can
share?  Maybe even someone knows of an open source
sdk, etc that is good on linux.

Thanks!

Marc