thanous on Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:00:55 +0200

[PLUG] Printing problem under RH 7.0.....

Hi list, I have a set up a text only printer that has been working for *years*
until today.  The only thing that it is printing is a file directly to its port,
lp0.  Its a local printer.  But it is used on the network.  When I try the lp
command, I get this error message:

sending job 'root@drexeldg+213' to Laser@localhost
connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
connected to 'localhost'
requresting printer Laser@localhost
job 'root@drexeldg+213' transfer to Laser@localhost failed.
error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER'	 with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
sending str '^Blaser' to Laser@localhost
error msg: 'printer 'laser', chdir to 'var/spool/lpd/lp0' failed
'Permission denied'

I tried to change the permission of the directory, /var/spool/lpd/lp0 to 777,
and 7777.  That *appeared* to work.  But only in the sense that it would simply
send the job through, but it would not print anything.  All the jobs using this
method would get stuck in the printing que.  When I restarted the lp deamon,
it gave the error message above again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Anthony