Beldon Dominello on Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:10:13 +0200

[PLUG] A note from my web hosting service

This note appeared, verbatim, in the occasional newsletter of my hosting
company, Drak Net (http://www.drak.net):

* * * * *

*******************************
ASP, Microsoft, and other things...
*******************************
Since we opened, we've been an open source using company, and
have used open source software almost exclusively with the
exception of allowing people to use Microsoft Extensions - and
that was something we did very, very reluctantly.

In our ferver to become competitive, we thought that ASP is
something we would have to offer eventually depite the fact that
proprietary software is something that goes deeply against the
grain of what we believe in philosophically. As we looked at the
ins and outs of installing this software, coupled with
Microsoft's announcement this week that it would stop supporting
Sun's Java by 2004, it only illustrated even more *why* we are a
company running primarily open source software.

Open source is not only a methodology for creating software,
it's also a political statement about ideas and the ownership of
them - ownership vs. freedom, collaboration vs. monopoly. Many
people use the software almost solely because of its
proliferation onto desktops and we cannot agree with the
practices they employed to get and maintain that proliferation.

There is a line between being competitive and selling your soul,
and we believe that if we buy into ASP, .NET, and the other
proprietary vehicles coming out of the Microsoft mentality and
pay an exhorbinant amount of money to enable this technology
here, we will have crossed that line for us.

There is also the fact that as a Unix server, we simply can't
compete with an IIS server for IIS technology. It's a bit
ridiculous to even try.

We give you as many open source options as we can - JSP,
Apache::ASP, PHP. What we currently support enables you to do
just about everything that you could do with Microsoft ASP - and
from our cursury investigation it appears that JSP is
considerably more powerful and versatile.

Other then Microsoft Extensions, we have made the decision that
we will only employ open source software here. If that means we
lose a competitive edge and some of our customers will go
elsewhere so they can get the functionaity of Microsoft
products, we completely understand and can live with that
situation - anyone wanting to use Microsoft technology really
shouldn't be on a Unix host in the first place in any case
because it limits them at the outset regarding what they can do.

We will continue to support Microsoft FrontPage extensions for
publishing in the same way we support FTP products that run on
Windows machines because Microsoft does not require that we
agree to a proprietary license or monetarily support their
endeavors by doing so, but that's as far as we plan to go.

For more information about open source software and the
philosophies surrounding it as a movement, visit
http://www.opensource.org/

--
Distinctive, adj.:
	A different color or shape than our competitors.