W. Chris Shank on Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:10:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SCSI tape - help!

>> I'm trying to get a SLR4-DC SCSI tape drive to work. the kernel sees
>> it as /dev/st0, but i'm having trouble accessing the tape.
>
> Not sure what _accessing_ means.
I/O errors on /dev/st0
turns out this was because the tapes were faulty.

>> when i put a tape in, it reads the tape for a while and the light
>> blinks green. when it stops the light blinks orange. i tried this with
>> 3 tapes over the last few weeks. same result each time.
>
> This might be a hardware problem.
bad tapes

>> today i realized that the tapes have been rewound so far that the tape
>> has seperated from the end of the spool. i don't know if the tape
>> drive isn't initialized correctly and it's rewinding too far or if the
>> tapes were just bad.
>
> mt -f /dev/st0 ?
>
>> i'm attemping to read a tape that i know is good. since the tapes were
>> from an AS/400, i think i need to format the tape, how do i do this?
>> the regular format command?
>
> I don't think you need to format this tape. Just rewind and dump it.
>
> You can erase it: mt -f /dev/st0 erase
i was finally able to use the tape drive, this time with a tape that wasn't
broken. the question is, were the tapes bad, or did the tape drives break
the tapes somehow (and if so - how do i prevent it from happening again).

-chris