gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:42:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] keysigning wednesday?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:12:35PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 07/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > Everyone should just print their own up, really. :^>
> I still don't have access to a printer.  And printing your own doesn't
> improve the trust situation at all anyway.  You should not trust that I put
> the right key in the keyring file.  So why should people print their own ?

Because when I use your (or Mike's) printout, I then have to
double-check the printout against the key I have in your keyring
at home before signing (there's no reason to assume that you printed
what you distributed digitally), whereas if I just import your
keyring and print my own copy of that, I know that if the fingerprint
at the meeting matches the fingerprint I've printed, I can just
sign without reverifying.

In any case, note that I wasn't seriously suggesting that.

> http://lists.PhillyLinux.org/mailman/pubarchive/plug/2002-June/016193.html
>
> The vice chairman of the Triangle Linux Users Group out of Raleigh/Durham,
> North Carolina, who has been doing a bunch of keysignings, will be joining
> us.  So yes, there will definately be a keysigning.  For those to whom this
> is not immediately obvious, this would be a particularly good person to
> exchange signatures with, so this would be a good keysigning to attend (for
> the 1st time or the 30th time).

D'oh. Right. I'd forgotten. :^>

> FYI, we still don't have a speaker scheduled for this wednesday.  This will
> be the first time since the middle of 1999.  Back then it was fairly normal
> to not have a speaker.  This is fine, in my opinion.  We just have a larger
> group than we did back then.

I could easily expand on the SSH PKI rant I've been on today, if
people want to hear it.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net