Jason on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:44:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet - perpetual mobile contract

On Monday 01 July 2002 19H:08, Michael D. Barlow wrote:
> At the risk of beating the dead horse.  You definitely need to upgrade the
> phone.  go for a cdm 9100 or above or any of the motorola ones.  LG also

Why do you think I need to upgrade my phone? It definitely wasn't cheap when I
got it and I actually like it a lot. Maybe I wasn't very clear on that.

I just wish the U.S. didn't start three incompatible digital networks (TDMA,
CDMA, GSM) when digital was introduced. I prefer GSM, because I'm not just
looking at which tower is in my backyard. Most of the time, GSM coverage is
pretty good in this country. I've had mixed experiences on a couple of trips,
particularly in US territories in the Carribean (Virgin Islands, etc.).

The problem is, for ultimate compatibility, you need like a 5-mode phone:
Analog, CDMA, TDMA, USA/GSM, "Rest of the World"/GSM. And, that's just silly.
I don't think any phones like that exist, or ever will exist. My "World
Phone" does USA/GSM and "Rest of the World"/GSM. I just find it strange that
the US has three different types of networks and even our GSM is a little
different than the rest of the world. Think about this: It costs our country
3 times as much money to provide complete digital coverage to everyone in
this country. Clearly, that's not cost efficient.

Again, this is not a problem with MY phone.

My rant is more with the way that all of the mobile/cellular companies focus
almost solely on "new subscribers", most of which already had a previous
account with another provider. So all of these "new subscribers" are just
switching around and around. Customer service is usually lacking or spottier
than the coverage at best.

> supports data.  Do not get any of the nokia cheapies.  None of them are
> data capable.   Through verizon, These will get you about

This makes me think you didn't read my post at all. The first thing I wrote
about was that I had an extremely negative experience with Verizon Wireless
and don't think that I would ever want to become a "customer" of theirs
again.

> 14.4.  The  cables are about 60 dollars.  If you decide to go that
> route,  www.teledaptusa.com   sells a myriad of
> cables.  www.markspace.com  also sells a few.  Essentially the  phone
> becomes a serial wireless modem.  Hit the plug for more info if it is worth
> it to you with a new phone.  There is quite a bit of info out there.  I
> browsed most of it when I was looking for handspring visor connectivity.

As I mentioned in my original message, my Ericsson phone works perfectly well
as a serial modem, through the IRDA port. I've been using it that way for
almost two years, from a WinCE handheld, Win98, and more recently Linux. It
just doesn't play well with Win2K. And, that isn't really a problem for me
anymore. Heck, I had a 14.4 PCMCIA modem that connected through a cable to my
old Analog phone. If all I wanted was 14.4, I could go back to my Analog
phone.

My wife got a new phone because she didn't like her old phone. I'm happy with
my phone, it's the majority of the US providers that I'm not very impressed
with. And, it's not that they aren't trying to improve coverage, etc.
Omnipoint/Voicestream has been very good in that respect. I was extremely
impressed with coverage in remote locations of Missouri and Illinois on a
recent trip.

I hope Verizon treats you better than they treated me,
Jason Nocks