Charles Stack on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:13:10 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Pascal?

<snip>
Well one thing I _don't_ like about Delphi and Kylix is their
over-pushing of oop and similar things.  It is used mainly by business
developers, not by "pure" programmers, so they don't know what good vs.
bad uses are.  You can write device drivers with most pascal dialects,
</snip>

First, you know nothing of my background so please don't make implications.
I don't write business apps.  I write components and system applications.
The libraries needed to writing ring 0 drivers are, last I checked,
compatible with Delphi.  Why?  Most are .obj's written to Microsoft's C++
naming convention.  This prevents those libs from linking to a Delphi
application.  If they are pure C and callable using standard C calls, then
that's a different story.

<snip>
I have not used DxSock, or even heard of it.  Indy works very well in
windows.  I think blocking sockets are the way to go.  The reason older
windows programs didn't use blocking sockets was that since there were
no threads, to block meant to block your whole program, not just one
thread.  (You can read the INDY Author's rant about this).
</snip>

INDY does not work well in server applications.  For clients, I'll say they
work and leave it at that.  I used to be on the core team and know all the
parties involved.  I also know the original author of most of the Winshoes
server components, Ozz Nixon.  Ozz leave the Winshoes team when he and Chad
had a falling out on how the library should work.  DxSock is the Ozz's
product and it easily outpaces INDY code by over 100%.  Period.  INDY is
free (for now..we won't talk about INDY 10).  DxSock is $799.  But, major
Delphi IT shops are willing to pay the price after they try implementing
their apps with INDY and they fail or performance sucks.  Look at the bug
list....yup..this is the current release candidate.

> But, Kylix 3 is not being targetted at writing servers, per se.  Instead,
it

<snip>
I like it
because the underlying language is flexible enough to do many things,
and do most of them better than C, and it's actually readable.
</snip>

Yup.  C and C++ code can be readable as well and still be fast.

<snip>
I normally write my own components or customize Open Source ones. (or
inherit the closed-source ones and add functionality).
</snip>

What sorts of components have you written?  Have you published any of your
work?  I haven't published in a while...the company I work for prefers that
I don't at this time.

<snip>
I don't think most linux developers get this.  The linux developers
tools I have seen are rudimentary at best.  Coding a program with vi in
one window and gcc in another X-term and glade running and gdb on
another console is hardly efficient compared to a decent IDE like kylix
has.  The problem is the "debuggers are for wimps" attitude.  Well tell
you what, I'll race someone using the above method to make almost any
simple app. ;)
</snip>

Well, I get the impression is they get it but don't want Linux to take off
(for whatever reason).

<snip>
Jbuilder itself is done in Java from what I understand, so it didn't
have to be ported, and Borland C compiler is already out for Linux, just
not the IDE for it.  I think that people who want to use C will continue
to use GCC, even if it isn't better, just because it's defacto.
</snip>

Incorrect.  JBuilder would not initially run on Blackdown and many other
Java implementations.  That's why Borland got involved with the product and
made the necessary contributions to make it work.  But, you are correct to
say the GUI is written in Java.

<snip>
cool technology.  If they concentrate on .net, microsoft will beat them
at their own game though, I would bet on that.
</snip>

Microsoft is providing the necessary assistance to make it happen.

<snip>
Well the "real" Kylix and the "enterprise" kylix only differ in included
components, which, form and end user point of view is important, but
from a more hardcore programmer point of view is irrelevant.  Given a
little time, I could code almost all of the components they include in
professional, and release them as GPL.
</snip>

Well, yes you could.  Provided you had an operating budget or weren't
concerned about bring a product to meet a certain marketing timeframe.
FWIW, there's a new joint initiative between many Delphi/Kylix vendors
called Dionesis (sp).  Watch for it.