Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:43:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wu-ftpd questions...

> > Make sure the FTP service is enabled at startup in "Setup | System
> > Services".  I'm not sure if FTP uses xinetd, but make sure that is
> > enabled, also.  From my experience with the WU-FTP RPM, it just works
> > after being installed and enabled.

I don't think that it does. If it did, wouldn't it write it's own xinetd
file from rpm?

Really, the suspense is killing me. Is ftpd running? What does an nmap for
the machine say?

> I did that, but again, I was writing my own service file kinda blindly,
> I couldnt find an example of one, and I didnt find one on the net that
> was working with RH 7.2

If you didn't compile wu-fpt yourself, you can't know whether it's
compiled standalone or for inetd (and xinetd). I'd imagine if rh compiled
for xinetd then they'd have the rpm update the xinetd file. Otherwise, rpm
would be kind of worthless in this regard (it's not, it has changed many
config files for the better), as it wouldn't work out of the box.

Fred