Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:37:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Libranet

> to get my scsi controller to show up I would download the free disks off the
> network, but since I can pay SuSE to make me a nice DVD and have it install
> right out of the box, ill take the time I saved and spend it learning
> something less painful, like Graph Theory :)

I never used suse so if you say it's better I guess your right. I got
debian working and I thought it was worth the work. I guess I don't mind
playing around a bit. I did use really old hardware which came from
unknown origins.

I like compiling kernels and the like and knowing what hardware you use
can help in that, but I'm sure that suse has automated this as well, which
is great.

I guess I find it hard to understand how someone could want to _not_ know
what's in their box. Then again, if I bought everything in a box instead
of getting out of the trash, I might be able to read off the box what it
is an find the drivers faster.

Progeny (free download) autodetected everything then converted over to
woody w/ little trouble.

> Don't get me wrong, after a few weeks of dorking around with my debian box it
> makes a very nice boot server for my PPC based build nodes.  Its nice now,
> but took a great deal of patience...

The point I was making was that I didn't feel that my time was wasted.
Every time I had a problem I got a bit better, everything worked faster
the next time. Getting good at something is fun, and I use the learning
daily in my sysadmin job. I don't think I'd be nearly as qualified if I
didn't go through that.

Once debian is installed it's so easy it's almost boring.

Fred