multiple seriousity on Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:10:10 +0200

[PLUG] August 25th Picnic/BBQ

Greetings,

   Last year was the 10th Anniversary of Linux... and many picnics and
other gatherings were had... The primary one of which was on the west
coast,  I saw this, and said "hey, lets do one on the east coast" and did
so... planning one in Philadelphia, @ FDR park which is easily accessible
off of I-95 near the sports stadiums in South Philly...  Well it went
really well last year, with 50+ guests from about 7 different states with
only two weeks promotion, planning and publicity.

   It was much enjoyed, and I was asked to do it again this year.  Well,
I've put the word out a few times, and am planning on it..

    But I need your help, and interest... last year I gave all credit to
PLUG and BCLUG even though I did it myself... this year, well, I just
can't do this stuff myself anymore... well, okay, I *COULD*, but I just
have too many non-profit projects (including actual 501(c)3 charity
organization projects) not to mention... stuff called dealing with life..

    Well so this is what we could use to make it work:
people to edit/make a website, update it, etc.  currently the old website
from last year http://philly.linux10.org is still up...  and it would be
nice to edit that (I will have to see about getting you access, it is
hosted on the machine of the person who ran the linux10 west coast event
last year who was kind enough to give us the space, subdomain and
access/support of the pre-existing west coast site (not to mention,
editing the logo a bit for us..) it would probably be best for us to
get/setup our own webhost and domain elsewhere...

people to track down, and contact all local LUGs, and other potentially
interested parties with an invitation and information ... my goals were to
invite all Linux, BSD, Opensource, Unix and similar techie oriented groups
in the area, it being the 10th anniversary of linux, but really just a
good excuse to get together and hang out.

people to take care of any other needs that you feel might exist, or
whatever you wish to help out with.  the west coast event was a
they-sponsored and-brought/cooked it.. while my approach is one of a
slightly co-ordinated pot-luck bbq/picnic. it's fairly easy to
organize.. but one can always make things better and more fun for all. :)

I want to make this an annual event, and part of a larger weekend of
coolio stuff-happenings.

this year we have the thursday august 22nd linux kernel PLUG meeting at
Netaxs..

this picnic on sunday august 25th

and probably the swap meet that we have been talking about, that I think
would be good to run on Saturday... although we still need to find a good
location for that (watch for a separate post/thread on this.)

I also think it would be cool to have a bar night at a local
tavern/restaurant/brewhaus.

Lets have some fun. :)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com