Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:40:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Thin vs. Slim Clients?

> I'm looking at the Linux Terminal Server project and have setup a test
> environment. It looks pretty cool, but it seems that the Thin Client is
> hardly doing any work. from what i can tell, it boots only enough to get X
> running and then turns over control to X on the server. What if the end user
> wants to listen to music, use the cd rom, or floppy disk? i'm thinking that
> the better solution would be to make a slim client (a term i just invented,
> AFAIK) - like the Sun computer labs I used in college. each workstation had
> a boot OS, but mounted /home, /usr, etc over the network. How would this
> compare with the performance of the thin client? say the machine was a P133
> with 64M of ram. Is it too much overhead to have KDE3 running locally? Is
> there any way to get a better hybrid of LTSP and local fucntionality (sound,
> cd, floppy, etc).
>
> what are your experiences?

I'm a member of the seul-edu [Simple End User Linux/EDU] mailing list:

  http://www.seul.org/edu/
  http://archives.seul.org/seul/edu/

There is often discussion on that list about using LTSP.  One of the
features that LSTP is supposed to support Mosix (maybe OpenMosix) to
create a cluster out of, and for, the thin clients.  Seul-Edu may be
able to provide you with some useful feedback.

Some other sites with more information:

  http://mosix-ltsp.dynu.com/
  http://people.nl.linux.org/~jelmer/ltsp-mosix.html
  http://www.k12os.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=14&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0