Michael C. Toren on Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:43:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] full-duplex nic's

> my company has a production server with 3 broadcom 5701 cards in it, but
> only two are being used.  for some reason, the two cards don't default to
> full duplex mode, so in /etc/modules.conf, i force them into full duplex
> mode (yes, the card does support full duplex and it is a recognized module
> parameter):
>
> alias eth0 bcm5700
> alias eth1 bcm5700
> alias eth2 bcm5700
> options bcm5700 full_duplex=1

Is the bcm5700 module provided by the stock Linux kernel?  I only see one
reference to that string in the source tree for 2.4.18 (which is probably
related to code which converts vendor ID's into names for /proc/pci, but
that's just a guess):

    [mct@antarctica /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.18]$ grep -rli bcm5700 .
    ./drivers/pci/pci.ids
    [mct@antarctica /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.18]$

In any case, could it be that the full_duplex configuration parameter is
really an array of booleans, the first element of which configures the
first card found, the second element of which configures the second card
found, etc?  I know that's how the tulip module is configured, as an
example, and as is indicated in the "modinfo -p" output:

    [mct@heartofgold ~]$ modinfo -p tulip
    [...]
    full_duplex int array (min = 1, max = 8)

-mct