Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:57:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] smp/ext3/nfs/raid == solid lockup on 2.4.18 and 2.4.19

> I don't know if this would help but, I had many problems with 2.4.18 +
> ext3, so I moved to 2.4.19+ext3+xfs and didn't have that many problems. I
> also read that there was a nasty bug with 2.4.18 + ext3 and you should
> upgrade to 2.4.19 ASAP.

I really appreciate this. Could you please send me a link that documents
the bug?

I have seen bug reports, but they are not perfect in that they don't show
_why_ the crash has occured. For all I know they have a bad cable or dodgy
memory.

Also, I tried 2.4.19 and _still_ got a crash.

I would love to move to xfs, but this is a conservative shop, and xfs
isn't in the main kernel. I _could_ quite easily set it up, but my boss
would veto it, unless I could document why this is overwhelmingly
necessary. Finally, it's tough to backup and restore 470 G. It takes some
time.

Thanks.

Fred