Will Dyson on Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:50:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Palm Pilot synching.

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

The computer that I am now using most of the time is RH 7.2. I installed the aforementioned j-pilot and pilot-link utitilities, as well as kOrganizer kPilot and the kAddressbook. However, I can't get the sync to work with any of them. The Pilot is attached to the tty0 serial port, but the programs refuse to recognize the existence of the port, or they complain about the permissions.

I've read the documenttion for kOrganizer, kPilot, j-pilot and pilot-link, and none seem to address my problem. I have a feeling that it is very basic. Can any one help or direct me to the appropriate docs?

I think the output of 'ls -l /dev/ttyS0' and 'groups' might prove instructive, if there is a permissions problem. Are you the owner of the device or a member of the group that owns it? Are the read and write permissions set for the owner and group?

Also, you mention the /dev/tty0 port. Is that a typo? Because I'm pretty sure you want /dev/ttyS0. Many folks make a symlink from the device their palm is on to /dev/pilot, in order to avoid confusion.

For more info on linux serial ports:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman