LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:10:06 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Recommendation for old laptop

I think that most Distributions have the kernel compiled for 586 pentium. With Debian I think you can start with a minimal install and use dselect to pick the packages that you want.

Your hardware is a little lite for running a xserver, but I ran X on a system with only 8 Megs RAM. and a 75Mhz Pentium. Needless to say it worked fine with fvwm window manager and the least amount of daemons occupying system resources.

As far as distribution is concerned I would use either Debian or Slackware since both can be easilly scaled down to a bare bones system.

To set up X you will need to know about the video card and the display properties. I have X running on an old laptop that is only capable of running 800x600 resolution. For most apps this is sufficient, but there are some apps that require a minimum of 1024x768.

Do not even think of trying to run KDE or Gnome desktops on this system.

Also, I would not run xdm but would allow the user to login on the console and run startx. I think running any variation of emacs would not be wise.

Hope this helps.

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
I have a really old laptop that I want to experiment with. It is an old gateway colorbook, 486-DX2-50, 730MB drive, 12 MB ram. Is there any distro that I can install that will give me even a simple X? Wife wants to use it in her classroom (5th grade).

For installation, has 56k modem card, NIC card, Mini-SCSI/2 (Adaptec parallel port) CD-ROM drive.

-- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\ http://lrcressy.com ( o.o ) Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <