gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:40:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] proprietary software in an open source world

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:04:02PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> So my question is whether such closed proprietary software can ever
> work in an open source enviornment?

Hrm. I've got software from Oracle, SAS, Macromedia (ColdFusion),
SyncSort, and some time soon will have from Group1 all running just
fine on a variety of RedHat versions (and, far more importantly,
different kernels). Those are all proprietary, and they work just
fine.

I doubt TimeMatters has insurmountable problems. Even if it has to
run in a completely stock RedHat 7.2 environment, do a full RH 7.2
install, mount that disk at /timematters, and chroot(1) to there
to install and execute.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net